Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mmm, Corn Dogs

When we have treats in our house, they usually come in the form of dessert. The other night, however, I was at a loss for what to make for dinner, when I spotted an email from allrecipes.com touting a recipe for corn dogs. I happened to have part of a package of wieners in the fridge left over from Canada Day weekend, so I thought I'd toss healthy eating to the wind for one night and give these a shot. Oh my goodness, they were delicious, on top of being fast and easy to make.


I only had three wieners left in the package, so I cut each one in half, and stuck in a popsicle stick. I mixed up half the batter recipe (using a whole egg, because I couldn't divide that in half), and dumped the batter into a drinking glass to make it easy to dunk the wieners. A quick fry in peanut oil (sticks and all), and the corn dogs were done. My kids devoured them, and I added some salad on the side to assuage any mommy guilt I may have felt about the questionable nutritional content of dinner.


Corn Dogs (from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
2 (16 ounce) packages beef frankfurters
16 wooden skewers
Directions

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into frankfurters. Roll frankfurters in batter until well coated.
Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes*. Drain on paper towels.

* My corn dogs cooked for barely a minute, instead of the three called for in the recipe. I broke my cooking thermometre last time I used it, so maybe my oil was hotter than I thought, but just keep an eye on them when you're cooking, and you'll see when they're done.

***************

Changing gears, I have some exciting news. Narelle from Cook Clean Craft has invited me to be a guest blogger next week as part of her Boy's Own Style series.

Boys own style


Check me out there July 9th, as well as the other great guest posters who will be sharing their best boy clothing ideas throughout the month.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! I bet your boys enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls love corn dogs, I will definitely have to try this. What a great Canada Day treat. I will look out for your guest post.
    I hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great!! :) I am your newest blog follower! :) Erin

    ReplyDelete