Last night, I finished a dress to wear this spring. I rarely sew clothing for myself because I’m generally frustrated by my fluctuating size and non-standard curves, but it’s time to accept my body as it is right now. That said, my bottom and top are several sizes different, and I’m no expert at fitting myself, so I decided to start with an easy sundress.
This is the first time I’ve used this pattern, and it went together well. I did omit the zipper, although not intentionally (not to self, Nyquil and sewing don’t mix!), but the dress still goes on and off just fine. I used a fairly plain, dark fabric I had in my stash to make the dress, which hides the details, but I’d love to re-do it in a brighter print and redeem myself on the zipper then. The bodice is lined, the skirt is not. If I make this dress again, I will probably add half an inch or so to the top of the bodice, so I can more easily wear a favourite bra.
I envisioned a photo taken in my sunny back yard, but it snowed again this morning, so here I am trying to master the art of late-night self-photography in my bathroom. Please ignore the ankle socks. I wasn’t about to attempt shoes on that bathtub ledge!
I still have to hem the dress, which I’ll do on the cover stitch machine when I buy more navy thread. I initially thought I’d leave the dress longer, but I may take it up a bit.
A wicked case of bronchitis has eaten most of my energy over the past few weeks, but I’m feeling a bit better now, and hope to have a few more projects on the go. Next up, is to finish upcycling an old curtain into a knitting needle roll for a friend.