Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pumpkin and cranberry weekend muffins

Sewing hasn’t been working out for me lately. The past few days, I’ve had to rip out every single stitch I’ve made. So I’m giving myself a break and turning to the kitchen instead  (=

Here was yesterday’s offering, delicious pumpkin and cranberry muffins, perfect for nibbling on a Saturday morning. The recipe makes a lot of batter, but you can refrigerate the extras and bake up fresh muffins each morning. The baked muffins also freeze pretty well.

pumpkin cranberry muffins

Here’s how you make them:

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

4 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
3 cups frozen or canned pumpkin purée, thawed
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup agave syrup (or 1/2 cup sugar)
1/2 lb. (16 Tbs.) unsalted butter, melted
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. ground cinnamon
3 Tbs. ground ginger
Pinch cloves
Pinch white pepper
1-1/2 cups dried cranberries (soaked 10 min in water)


Heat the oven to 350°F. Measure evaporated milk and stir in vinegar. Set aside 5 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, evaporated milk mixture, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, agave syrup, and butter. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and pepper. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring until just mixed. Gently fold in the (soaked and drained) cranberries. Line a muffin tin with liners. Scoop about 1/2 cup batter into each tin so that the curve of the batter is even with the rim of the cup. (Refrigerate any extra batter in an airtight container for up to a week.) Bake the muffins in the middle of the oven until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into them comes out clean, 30 min. 
(recipe adapted from Fine Cooking)

Try ‘em, they’re good!

Next up is our Valentine’s Day decorations.  Crayon/waxed paper hearts tied to the curtains of all our kitchen windows. Not too original, but along with our modified Christmas wreath, my Martha-esque pot holders, and baking some heart-shaped cookies, that’s all I’m up to doing.

valentine crayon hearts

Finally, just for kicks, here’s a pic of me, snapped by my 4 year old. He always misses the top of heads but seems to have caught on to that whole rule-of-thirds thing. We’re working on it  (=

me pic

With any luck, tonight I will remember how to sew a straight seam and maybe actually accomplish something.


Linked to:

handmade projects

5 comments:

  1. I have had to take breaks from sewing before too and knitting and... well a break is good for us every now and then, lol. He did a great job on the picture and you have such a sweet smile, makes me smile too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day to you!!! I love canned pumpkin puree and anything baked with pumpkin so I am going to keep this in my files. Wishing you a wonderful day, with lots of love and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be back on track soon. I have days like that too.

    Your muffins look delicious. I'm a fool for anything pumpkin flavored!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I had to laugh when you said you had to rip out every stitch! I love to sew, but when it isn't working out, it is such a pain. Glad you could turn to these delicious looking muffins. Sounds like a great combination.
    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins look delicious. I love those cute heart potholders! They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete